Thursday, October 6, 2011

Advice please - kitty sitting

So, I'll be travelling for work/family in November and December. Our neighbor who has looked in on Billy before said she will be around and would be happy to help. But if I'm away for that long the litterbox would need to be cleaned out, which is not a fun thing. And I would ask for a water or two of plants. And it would be nice if she got the mail. That's a lot. Maybe too much. So that's one issue. I of course would feel like I should get her a gift, and since I don't know her all that well, though well enough to give her a key to the place, I want to give her money. And I mentioned it. And she said no. And I said, well, I would just get you a gift that I don't know if you'd like. And I forget what she said. But thinking about it, I maybe should have just left her a gift card for someplace - restaurant or Target. But I've already made the mistake of saying I wanted to give her money, which I feel has changed the dynamic. Like she's working for me. And it feels weird. And now I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

3 comments:

silly rabbit said...

Maybe you could give her a nice card and write a note in it saying how much you appreciated her help and include a gift card with a word that you hope she enjoys it. I'd ignore the money issue. You will both be more comfortable with that.

Mel said...

I'm with the silly rabbit!

Let it go--appreciate her willingness and gift her with a card with a prezzie/gift card attached.

<-- does litterboxes, plants and mail for vacationing people

And I don't even like cats. *shudder*

laura b. said...

She doesn't feel like she is working for you, she feels like she is doing a favor for a neighbor. It's all good. Thank her for her help and let her know you'll reciprocate if you can. And gift cards are great!!!