As my sister likes to call her, recently.
So, my mom has decided it's ok to walk half a mile to the store despite the fact that she used to rarely make it around the block. Or despite the fact that the last time she walked to the store she was 10 years younger.
First time she did it she was spaced out for days. My sister called her one day and my mom had never gotten out of her PJ's and didn't know when she ate and it was 5:00 pm or so.
Second time, yesterday, she fell and was sent to the emergency room and got 10 stitches and a broken nose. Thankfully she had her cell phone which we had saved 'Emergency' number.
So, I'm going next Wed for a week to see if I can help set up a situation that works for her. Hopefully she's been scared straight a little. We don't need her falling and breaking her hip either at home or outside.
If you have any ideas for solutions, I'm open to them! So far I have:
- have a bulletin board with days of the week and what she's doing
- set up a ride in the van to the senior center Mon,Wed,Fri where she can get a cheap lunch (trouble is, she has to go from 8-1)
- she currently takes a van Tues/Thurs to go volunteer at a thrift store.
- teach her to take naps in the afternoon
- have her carry her cell all the time on her person, and charge it every night
My siblings and I each have a day to call her 3x a day to make sure she has eaten.
She needs to stay at home as long as possible, or at least the next 6 months. It would be too hard to move into assisted living right now.