Monday, November 7, 2011

Graham Parker

Went and saw Graham Parker last night. I really had never heard his stuff, but I knew M liked him a lot so when I saw the notice I told him and we went! It was an acoustic show, except for a few songs on which he played electric guitar. He's really interesting and got a British wit about him - dry - which suits me perfectly. He's a contemporary of Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello and you can hear that. I guess the world could only handle two at the time. Very small venue - we were 4 rows back. He came out afterward to sign CD's - before he came out there was a line to buy CD's and then empty table next to it. So when he walked out and didn't really know where to go, I said 'right here!' and we were first in line - a very down to earth guy. M gets so star struck it's funny. But he was very happy.

My favorite song I heard with respect to lyrics. I can't decide amongst others as to which I liked the best. Endless Night

5 comments:

silly rabbit said...

I listened and then had to go and look him up. What came to my mind was Mott The Hoople when I heard this. But according to Wikki, they were not mentioned in his list of influences. But right place and time for that. I still have to wonder. I also didn't know, of course, that he was connected to "London's Calling" and the Clash... one of my all time favorite punk bands. Makes sense to me! Great song choice!

laura b. said...

Graham Parker is one of those names you hear, but I wasn't really familiar with him. Thanks for the intro. I like his style!

3GKnight said...

Small venue concerts are fun. A friend took me to a restaurant where they had one of the best guitarists in the nation playing. (Sorry, can't remember his name.)

GP Fan said...

FYI - That's Bruce Springsteen on backing vocals. I bit burried, but you can hear that it's him if you listen for it. I remember it being a big deal back in 1980 that Bruce was a fan of GP and wanted to help promote him.

Pamela said...

SR-M was impressed that you thought of Mott the Hoople... I gotta go read that Wikki entry.

Laura - you are welcome!

3GK- If you think of the name, let me knowj...

GPF - Funny. GP told the story that it was a young, new singer who he decided to give a break to.