Thursday, December 8, 2011

Discarded

So, I've been let go. Believe it or not, from my dentist. Got a letter today in which he says he basically doesn't want to be my dentist anymore and he'll be happy to transfer my records to someone for a fee of $45.

I was shocked. M says not to waste any emotional energy on it, but given it's 6 hours later and it's still on my mind, you can see how well I listen to his advice. I want to figure out the exact reason and what part I played in it, but perhaps I should just give it up.

Back story is that I went last Tuesday because over Thanksgiving I had gotten something sticking up on one tooth that was kind of sharp and wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. So, I'm in there for a few minutes, he looks and doesn't see anything, starts smoothing even though he's not sure where he should be, and he hits my filling such that it hurt and I jumped. And the appointment was over and I paid $80.

So, when they sent their customary 'how did we do' letter, I wrote that I felt rushed and because of that wasn't entirely convinced that everything was ok. But writing this now, perhaps that was it. That I didn't have 100% confidence that what he was saying was true.

In the end, yes, it's all for the best. And it just so happened that M had had to find a dentist and he had one recommended. So I have someone. But still, it hurt. Oh well... as ever, life goes on.

4 comments:

silly rabbit said...

Oh no! I made a complaint about a dentist once... who poked a temporary filling, which made me actually scream, then quickly slapped the real cap onto the sore tooth. Two days later I was in the emergency dentist's office. He said that being poked by a dental tool can plant infection. My new crown had to be drilled like a bad tooth!
Unfortunately, the dentist who did this was on the board overseeing bad dentists!
I think you are better off without him. You had every right to be dissatisfied. Sheesh! Talk about oversensitive.

NoRegrets said...

Well, he wrote me an email and explained it all. So I understand more and am in the wrong, really. So I feel like crap. But I'll get over it...

Churlita said...

Weird. I hope your other dentist is better.

laura b. said...

It doesn't seem possible to be wrong in a situation like this. Like, you had a feeling about what happened and expressed it.
I'm glad you were able to quickly find a new dentist though! And I hope you haven't worried too much over this.