Friday, December 9, 2011

Movies and Books

I get Entertainment Weekly and I've saved so many because I want to write down the books and movies that seem interesting. My big problem is writing them down. So thought typing would be better. Will post periodically. It's all for me... but maybe you'll like the list too. They are different orders of important, but not marking that here.

Movies
- The Artist
- The Kids are All Right
- The Other guys. Will Ferrell Mark Wahlberg
- Crumb - documentary
- The Help
- The Circumstance (Sundance, Tehran, girls)
- Pee Wee's Big Adventure
- Benda Bilili! (music, Congo)
- Last Train Home (Chinese migrant workers once a year home)
- The Town

Books
- You Lost Me There, Rosecrans Baldwin
- The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise Julia Stuart
- Packing for Mars Mary Roach (science, space program)
- The Dovekeepers Alice Hoffman (strong women, Bible based)
- The Warmth of Other Suns Isabel Wilkerson (Great Migration - blacks leaving south)
- Must you Go? My Life with Harold Pinter Antonia Fraser
- Half a LIfe Darin Strauss Memoir (struck girl on bike)

5 comments:

Churlita said...

I've seen a lot of the movies, but haven't red any of the books on your list. You'll have to review them for us.

silly rabbit said...

I am so behind on books and movies right now that I have only seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure. lol
I do like Alice Hoffman's writing.

darinstrauss said...

hey
thanks -- let me know if you want a free copy of my book. -Darin Strauss darinstrauss@hotmail.com

laura b. said...

I LOVE The Kids Are All Right. It has become a favorite movie of mine. I read The Help, but haven't seen the movie. And Pee Wee's Big Adventure is awesome and fun :)

I haven't read any of those books, unfortunately. I have wanted to get to The Julia Stuart one. I like some Alice Hoffman, others not so much, so I will be interested to hear how this one is. Also, haven't read this Mary Roach, but enjoyed Spooks, and especially Stiffs.

NoRegrets said...

Churlita, even the documentaries? Any I shouldn't watch?

SR - My friend just gave me an Alice HOffman book so I'll see how I like it.

Darin - that's very kind if that's really you and I will write. I admire whatever program you have that notifies you that your book has been talked about.

Laura - I really wanted to see that and I didn't because the night I rented it I ended up not wanting to watch it... A reason I couldn't belong to Netflix.