Monday, March 16, 2009

Failed liberation


Near my house there's 'revitalization' going on. One new building is going up, and it'll have a nice shiny new grocery store, I have heard. I can't wait. Next door is an old old grocery store and general shopping strip mall shopping center. Every store is boarded up except the grocery store.

This weekend I walked by the freestanding store and noticed tulips coming up. And being the scavenger I am, I thought, they are just going to get destroyed when they tear up the place, so maybe I should liberate them from their current location. I mentioned it to friends, and some were supportive, some not. Well, since it rained all weekend I went over there late yesterday to get some.

Carrying my bucket and gardening tools, I tried to pretend I wasn't this crazy woman stealing tulips from a shopping center. I thought it unwise to bring a shovel, but turns out I needed one. They planted those damn tulips really deep! I dug with the tools, I dug with my hands. After 'destroying' 3-4x as many bulbs as I liberated, I realized it was in the poor plants' best interest to give up (I tore off the greens, but the bulbs are still there).

I walked away dejectedly back to my car, stopping only to wash my hands in a puddle in the parking lot.

Yes, I'm nuts.

5 comments:

Churlita said...

Aw. That's a sad tale. At least you can learn from this and bring your shovel next time.

Squirrel said...

I admire your resourcefulness. I'll visit you in jail when you get arrested for flower theft. I might even bake you a cake with a file in it.

Mel said...

Well, there's a creative soul if ever I've seen one.

Was there no one to give permission--k..wouldn't have been as fun, huh?

The CEO said...

Wait for the guy with the back hoe.

NoRegrets said...

Churlita, I found a short shovel, so maybe I should go back...

Squirrel, will you bring me my beers to the jail?

Mel, well, at least not as interesting a story...

Monty - I'll keep my eye out for him.