Thursday, June 7, 2007

Save the turtle, save the world


Driving this morning to work along a waterway, saw an object in the road. Avoided it, and wondered what it was so looked in the rear view mirror (thankfully there was a stop light). And saw it move! It was a turtle! So, two lane road on either side of a median. 35 mph zone, but most people, including me, go faster. It was amazing that he hadn't gotten run over. So, I turned off, got out of the car, and went to transport him to a safe place. Of course, the cars coming at me didn't know what the hell I was doing, so I pointed down at the turtle. He was huge! Like one foot long. And moved fairly quickly once I tried to get him. But I managed to pick him up by his shell and carry him to the other side of the road. He hissed. As I drove off, I worried that I hadn't brought him close enough to the water, but he was probably turtle-cussing me out because he wanted to be on the OTHER side, near his girlfriend or whatever.

PS-I've been told it might have been a snapping turtle, which could have whipped its head around and bitten off a finger. Ack! But it didn't... Also, possibly a female going to find a place to lay eggs.

No comments: