Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake and Tsunami

Well well. Exciting events here. Tsunami warning. Thankfully it's low tide, so likely there will not be much impact. The only way we knew about it was because a friend from the East coast called. Then we turn on the news and find out what's happened.

Billy is very concerned about the tsunami warning.


Then finally checked my gmail, and turns out my brother was at Narita airport when the quake struck.

At approximately 2:40PM local time the Airlines Lounge floor felt like it started to sway. It was the "typical" -is this an earthquake- type response from most folks ... for about 30 seconds anyway. It just ramped up from there for about the next 4-5 minutes (eternity?). The world continued to shake for every bit of 30 minutes. Note: It continues to shake as I write this and it is 9 hours after the initial jolt. We were evacuated on to the tarmac about 45 minutes into the episode and stayed there for about an hour. We (maybe 500-700 folks) were then allowed back in to the downstairs only part and kept there for about 5 hours or so. The airports' emergency "feed the people plan" was bottled water and Ritz crackers - really.

So, he won the lottery! Very glad he's ok...

Crazy times.

4 comments:

Churlita said...

Oh my god. That is so scary for him, I'm sure. It's funny how long those things feel. The tornado only lasted like 5 minutes, but it felt like an hour.

laura b. said...

Wow, madness. I know when I was watching people's footage from Japan, the shaking just went on and on. Nothing like the earthquakes I've experienced in So Cal.
So glad you brother is okay.

Mel said...

Oh my gosh.....I'm so glad he's okay. Definitely glad.....

Tara said...

I'll never complain about a tame little snow storm again. Or at least if I start to whine, I'll remember it could be much, much worse.