Sunday, July 17, 2011

Saturday, in the park,....

This was what I did on Saturday. I went with a group of people to hack away at foliage around a trail and build up the middle of the trail that had been dug out by rain water going the wrong way. It was hard work but nice people. The fog was around us all day, sometimes misting in our faces. I worked mainly with Mickie (you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind...). His accent was strange yet familiar, so I asked where he was from. Rhode Island! So we spend a few minutes talking about Rhode Island stuff. Nice guy. And, the trail maintenance organization has been around since 1983. Someone looked at that and said - the year before I was born! Ugh. The year I graduated from high school! Sigh.


The beautiful pitcher sage plant that I hacked up by the roots. I was so sad to get rid of it. One of the park workers later took home a plant, and I tried to find this one in the rubble to give to him, but alas, not to be.


Plants below I found when I went to pee. I squatted by them. And then later we stored some blocks of wood near there and they were trampled to death. Alas. But they live on in the photos.



60 degrees in July. This is nuts.

3 comments:

silly rabbit said...

Such pretty plants! Hopefully there are others not to far that will grow from seeds despite the "thinning".

What a lovely way to spend your time... getting to see beauty and helping to maintain the trails that allow others to see it too. Yay!

laura b. said...

Some weird July weather, but good for that sort of project I suppose. Sounds like a great way to be useful!

Churlita said...

Gorgeous pics. I used to do trail work in the California Conservation Corps. Of course, that was in 1985, two years after I graduated from high school. Ha ha.