Sunday, November 9, 2008

Next phase in kitchen work - cabinets

Howdy all. So, it's kinda like one step forward, two steps back when you're doing a kitchen. I was feeling kinda nice and semi normal about cooking. Even made a pie for my helper friend. And then we attack the cabinets.

So, notice something missing? Yup. We had to take down the ones that were over the stove so we could move them over so they are correctly centered over the stove. (Remember everything was moved over to accommodate the dishwasher?)

What's so exciting is what we found. Yes! Space above so I can easily put in a ducted vent system. Yes! Wood that the cabinets are screwed into, so they can be easily put back up. No! Not to code wiring for the vent - oops, that'll need to be changed.


Another very good reason we are moving these cabinets is all the nastiness that's up there from the frying that the previous owners had done without a true vented system. What you see below is the side of one cabinet after I sprayed it with commercial strength degreaser. YUCKY! (hmm... maybe I should be using gloves to do this - my fingers are going numb...)


So, now I get to spend more money sooner than I thought. I have to buy the vent! And the ducts! Oh well... I'm doing my part to boost the economy.

11 comments:

Churlita said...

Ewww. Thanks for stimulating the economy for me. I can't afford to right now.

Mel said...

SPACE!
(the final frontier......)

Oh, what fun!
I'm the fix it, make it different kinda gal.
Now you've got the wheels turning--it's winter and I need a project!

Hmmmmmmmm.....

heather said...

um, yeah, gloves are a good thing when working with commercial strength degreasers. just remember, you only have to do this once. unless of course you suddenly up and decide to redo the kitchen again just for the hell of it in 5-10 years. :)

M. Robert Turnage said...

Wow. Even my worst bachelor days, my fridge didn't look anything like that.

Maybe you can get them to film a commercial or something at your place. "Look at this appliance before the lemon zest of 409 made it all shiny!"

NoRegrets said...

Churlita, did I stimulate your gag reflex too?

Mel - whatever you do, don't start on a kitchen. It never ends...

Heather, the neighbor across the street brought me in to show his kitchen, and he has done it twice in like 6 years. I can't even friggin imagine.

MRT - no, that's the cabinets. Cooking crap. And you know what, the evil stuff I have I really would be willing to appear in a commercial for.

The CEO said...

Cabinets! Are you going to do the open kind with glass doors that are so chic?

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.. just think of all the pies you could bake in a new kitchen..

And wear gloves when using those degreasers.. cause your hands will be like leather after..

NoRegrets said...

Monty, the ones that came down are going right back up. I can stimulate the economy only so much. I wouldn't be able to do ANY of this if I didn't have friends to help.

Mrs. - Well, they're kinda leathery already because of my climbing, but I guess I should be nice to myself. Don't want some future boyfriend to think I have leather gloves on...

Anonymous said...

ugh. I know it must be exciting but it just looks like a lot of work to me. (I've done one to many of these "little" projects, I guess!)

Good Luck!

Tera said...

Gloves. Yes.

NoRegrets said...

Laura, it is a lot of work and if I think about it too much I get overwhelmed, so I just don't think about it.

Tera, I have no hands anymore so I don't need gloves. the chemicals ate away my flesh and bones.