Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Amber Alert Text Notification

About a month ago I found out about Wireless Amber Alerts, I forget how. And then a week ago I heard an ad on the radio about it, so thought I would pass along to you. I haven't yet done it so I can't give my first hand experience, but it sounds like a good idea. From the website:

The wireless industry has officially partnered with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) to distribute AMBER Alerts to wireless consumers who opt in to receive geographically specified messages on their wireless devices through an AMBER Alert wireless messaging system.

ALLTEL Mobile, Cingular Wireless, Dobson Communications, First Cellular of Southern Illinois, Nextel Communications, Rural Cellular Corporation, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Western Wireless will offer Wireless AMBER Alerts to their subscribers at launch. Other wireless carriers will join shortly. Syniverse Technologies has donated the necessary equipment, development and operation of the Wireless AMBER Alerts Initiative to The Wireless Foundation.

Subscribers capable of receiving text messages, and whose wireless provider is participating in the Wireless AMBER Alerts Initiative, may opt in to receive alerts by registering at www.wirelessamberalerts.org and designating up to five ZIP Codes from which they’d like to be alerted in the case of an AMBER Alert activation.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Definitely interesting. I get them by email currently.

NoRegrets said...

Huh, I didn't even know they did that either.

heather said...

i get the e-mail alerts too. i'm quietly thankful everyday i don't get one.