Monday, August 18, 2008

Something I never knew about my brother

A Dirty but Lasting Lesson

My least favorite summer job was in a meat-processing plant in East Providence, R.I., hosing down the slicing and grinding equipment with high-pressure hot water at the end of the day. We had to spray every nook and cranny, or we'd find maggots dangling from the crevices. The sight made us think twice about buying the ground hamburger, even with the employee discount. I saw the value of a good education after I had hosed off the last maggot that summer.

8 comments:

Churlita said...

Um, Ewwww. That's all I can think right now. Just ewwww.

Anonymous said...

That would not be pleasant....

I just had hamburgers, no shittin ya...I am glad I read this now.

M. Robert Turnage said...

Is this your brother's standard speech in his job as a college recruiter? Because I would totally sign up for NoR U if that was the case.

laura b. said...

I would say that is a sure sign we should all be vegetarians, but I suppose bugs get in fruits and veggies too....maybe lets just not eat for a bit...

NoRegrets said...

yup Churlita, I agree.
Evile-sorry! If it makes you feel better, I just had one on Friday...
MRT, that would work really well. NoR U - that's cool...
Laura-well, yes, bugs eat all thing and some people eat bugs. And on fear factor they ate it all, so it can't be all that bad...

heather said...

coulda used that speech about 20 years ago. :)

(thanks for it now though, i've decided i'm full and don't really ~need~ a second helping of hamburger helper after all.)

Tara said...

Oh yuck, I'm a meat eater, but yeah seeing the maggots would make me sick and turn me into a vegetarian.

NoRegrets said...

Heather, glad to be of assistance!

Tara, yeah, that likely would have affected me at that age too.