Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Definition of Regrets

re·gret (r-grt)
v. re·gret·ted, re·gret·ting, re·grets
v.tr.
1. To feel sorry, disappointed, or distressed about.
2. To remember with a feeling of loss or sorrow; mourn.
v.intr.
To feel regret.
n.
1. A sense of loss and longing for someone or something gone.
2. A feeling of disappointment or distress about something that one wishes could be different.
3. regrets A courteous expression of regret, especially at having to decline an invitation.
[Middle English regretten, to lament, from Old French regreter : re-, re- + -greter, to weep (perhaps of Germanic origin).]

I realized, thinking about this blog, that I'll never have NO regrets. Especially if you think of the sense of loss and longing. And I have a few regrets from my first 40 years with respect to #2 noun definition above. I'll write about them as the time comes...

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm guilty of the noun definition #1 quite often..

NoRegrets said...

I think there should be a statement next to #1 that says: see 'human'