Monday, December 22, 2008

Recipes

Pecan Pie

First I started with a recipe a friend sent me from a search on MyRecipes.com, that was from Cooking Light: Pecan Pie. As I was mixing it all together, I thought to myself that it was way too few pecans. So I looked at Joy of Cooking (the new one). It had 2 c. of chopped pecans and the Cooking Light one had only 1/2 c! So, I think I added a total of 1.25 c - I would next time add more. It also said vanilla OR dark rum. Since I had already added vanilla, I just added in the dark rum - 1 TB.

I did not spray the pie pan with oil before putting in the pie crust because Joy of Cooking did not say to. Mistake - really, you should do it. I made the pretty decoration on the top of the pie - I just made that up since I had perfect halves.


Russian Tea Cakes

1 cup soft butter (I used one stick salted, one unsalted)
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups sifted Gold medal flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Combine all ingredients. I used a pastry cutter because I haven't unpacked my mixer, and I think it was a good thing. It's kinda like making scones - you mix it only as much as it needs it.

Chill dough. Roll into 1" balls.
Place on ungreased baking sheet.
(Cookies do not spread)*[see, mine did]
Bake until set, but not brown.
While still warm, roll in confectioners' sugar.
Cool. Roll in sugar again.

Temperature 400 degrees (moderate hot oven)
Bake 10 to 12 minutes
Makes about 4 dozen 1" cookies


I never noticed this before, but there's a quote in the new Joy of Cooking. Joy's soul lies in the doing. William Shakespeare.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's Joy? C;)

Churlita said...

I've never had a teacake before. It sounds so high society or something.

Mel said...

Ohhhhhh....AND she cooks!

Gosh dangit that I can't have this--sounds darn good!

(why is it whatcha can't have ALWAYS sounds good?!)

NoRegrets said...

Joy's my best friend ever.

Churlita, it's kinda like shortbread. No eggs as you see.

Mel - ha, you sound like a boyfriend I once had. "And she can cook too!".
I'll try and find something you can make. What are your allergies again?

Susan said...

I made cookies and brought them to work. I don't know what they're called though so yeah...maybe recipe tomorrow.

laura b. said...

Thanks for the recipes. I'd be such a rock star if I brought something like this to my family's Christmas Eve party. Wish me luck.