Friday, October 10, 2008

Birds and Clowns and Tumors

Yesterday biking to work I noticed a hawk on a telephone wire (on a side street). It was so close I stopped and turned around to look. There was much screeching by blue jays, and I noticed a bunch of blue jays in a big tree behind the house. I've never seen blue jays in a flock. The hawk jumped over to a fence that went between the two properties with high bushes. Then he flew into the bush and I could not see him, but a small bird flew out and away in a hurry.

So, I'm away climbing this weekend until Monday night. With my ex-ish. Using two tents. And Tuesday am I go to court to finalize the divorce. Yes, odd. Yes, might create some drama. Am I a clown? Sadomasochistic? Maybe.

Just checked a blog of a friend/acquaintance. She's recently married to a man she had rediscovered after a long time apart, and he's diagnosed with Grade 4 Glioblastoma brain tumor. How sad. Prognosis is bad (51 weeks average survival after diagnosis). But truly I believe it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I hope it does not come to that for them; though signs point to that, miracles can happen.

(Susan's comments made me add this. Would be nice to be able to sing it someday.)

11 comments:

Susan said...

I believe in miracles.

Churlita said...

I also believe in that whole "better to have loved and lost' thing. a friend of mine was married to the love of her life and he died in a plane crash a few years ago. She's trying to date, but no one compares. She said she may just have gotten what she was going to get, but at least she had him for 10 years.

NoRegrets said...

Susan, you sexy thing.

Churlita. I'm glad your friend has that outlook. As opposed to my grandmother who waaa waaa'd her way through the end of her life after her husband died. But maybe that was different, given that it was likely after 25-35 years of marriage.

Squirrel said...

Better to have loved and lost. Harder, for sure, but better. Funny how those two qualities seem to go hand in hand.

I hope things don't get too tense in your two tents. (I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop myself.)

Mel said...

It's better to love.



And I do believe in miracles......I am one.

*sending prayers and warm, peacefull thoughts*

Susan said...

Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head....not that it's a bad thing.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Miracles do happen.. My prayers to your friends..Love can do wonderful things..

Tara said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's husband! Miracles can happen though, you're right.

A flock of bluejays sound scary, I know that they can be aggressive. We had one build a nest on our front porch and totally took over the porch during that time.

The CEO said...

I concur, better to have loved....

Tera said...

Wow weirdness! I guess it would have been MUCH weirder had you two shared a tent?

You are right about your friend...some of the happiest moments in one's life that creates the best memories are those which happen while in love.

That song gave me a headache...okay, I'm off to the kitchen for a beer!

heather said...

yeah! ramones baby! whooooo!!!

did you have fun at some point durring the relationship?
did you learn something useful about yourself?
are you better for the experience?

sounds like a miracle to me. :)

*i believe in david bowie and billy idol in his kleenex days too, you?*