Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Real Lesson Learned


To fix a leaking pipe - turn it on and off 4-5-6 times, the last time letting some water come out. This will re-seat the seals.

Seems I need to do this with my main water shut off. Right now that's turned to off and I still have water all in my house.

As I said before, damn, I really need a plumbing class. And thank goodness for cell phones, so I was able to get an answer.

Photo (from a plumbing site that he doesn't say what state he's in!!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You just need Joe The Plumber's number, that's all :-)

laura b. said...

Is it that even once the main is off there is still the water that was already in the pipes? Riddle me this.

NoRegrets said...

WNG - you are RIGHT!

Laura- well, the thing is, I turned on the faucets to bleed the water out, and they kept running and running. Unless there's more water in the basement faucets than upstairs. But even so, I flushed the toilet a couple times too, and still no lack of water.

Susan said...

I don't understand plumbing at all. I've had a leak for months that I need to just buck up and get fixed.

Churlita said...

I rent, so I don't need a plumber. Sometimes I'm glad I'm too poor to own a home.

NoRegrets said...

Susan, obviously it's not leaking somewhere important. I hope...

churlita, yes, there are advantages to renting. unless you have an evil, nasty landlord.

Unknown said...

I've had to be an evil, nasty landlord twice this morning. Why do people think it's ok not to pay thier rent?

grrrr....

I'll work on hooking you up with Joe, NoR...

NoRegrets said...

Thanks WNG! Even now, that I've been so mean?

Mel said...

<--taking notes

(for future reference, of course!)

NoRegrets said...

Mel, yes, take notes. It's a good lesson learned.