Friday, October 3, 2008

My Top Ten Songs (+2)

A friend had the task assigned to her for an office retreat to list her top ten songs. She sent her picks to a bunch of her friends and invited us to do it. I thought it would be more difficult, but really, it wasn't. Of course, if I start thinking about different genres of music that I like, etc. I get befuddled, but given my middle class white suburban 40-year-old-now upbringing, listing these songs as my top ten isn't too surprising. The reason they were chosen is that they either are fun or have some emotional connection or are just great music and/or great artists, no matter when I hear them I enjoy listening to them, and I think I know all the words to all. I originally had trouble picking #10 so I sent 11, so you have two bonus tracks here (again, I started thinking about diversity, and that got me all befuddled). And if I don't post this now I'll rethink it all and change some, so posting now.

Enjoy, I hope. Music for your weekend.

Little River Band – Cool Change

Michael Hedges – Ready or Not

Grease – you’re the one that I want

Led Zeppelin – Out of the Tiles

Meatloaf – Bat Out of Hell

Rush – Limelight

Kenny Rogers – Gambler

Waterboys – fisherman’s blues

Steve Miller Band – Dance dance dance

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush – don’t give up


Steve Winwood – higher love


Bonus

Alison Krauss – Down in the River to Pray

Earl Scruggs – Foggy Mountain Breakdown

11 comments:

dmarks said...

I had the 12 inch single for "Don't Give Up" for years... until two weeks ago. I count it as Peter Gabriel AND Kate Bush.

NoRegrets said...

OK, so you dont' call the cops, I changed it.

Tara said...

I love Steve Winwood. My favorite song from him is "Roll with It".

Also like the songs from Grease and Kenny Rogers! Great songs ya got there!

Squirrel said...

Nice! Fisherman's Blue's sometimes makes my top ten list too.

Susan said...

I love me some Kenny Rogers. Sorry to be absent all day. It's a busy one.

Churlita said...

I love Kenny Rogers and all the bluegrass. I saw Alison Krause in concert and "Down to the River to Pray" was probably her best song that night.

I loved Steve Winwood's Arc of a diver when I was in high school. So pretty.

Mel said...

Oh, I've only done two and I'm already happier than happy!

:-)

Good choices!
Very good choices.....

M. Robert Turnage said...

I used to tell people the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People were as follows:

1) You have to know when to hold 'em.
2) Know when to fold 'em.
3) Know when to walk away.
4) Know when to run.
5) You never count your money when your sittin' at the table.
6) There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealins' done.
7) Repeat chorus.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Great songs.. I like meatloaf but I think my favorite artist right now is James Blunt.. His songs are soulful and kinda remind me in a couple of John Lennon.. who is another favorite..Enjoy the weekend..

Ariel said...

I know only 3 out of the whole lot. Goodness. I gues sthat makes for a musically uneducated pair of ears. *sigh*

NoRegrets said...

Thanks Tara!

Squirrel, yeah, it all depends on the mood.

Susan - I do have the Wyclef/Rogers version...

Churlita - I really wanted to see Alison Krauss, but missed her.

Mel, thanks.

MRT, words to live by...

Mrs...thanks! Yeah, he's good, but doesn't make the top 10...

Ariel, really, some ofthis is 'trash' but good trash. Others, well, you better get to know!!