Friday, February 13, 2009

What have you done for ones you've loved?

I was thinking last night about the impending Valentine's Day, and remembered some of the things I've done for men that really showed how much I loved them. And I'm talking things that aren't so easy - not the buying of lingerie type of deal.

I think the one that takes the cake, so to speak, is when my boyfriend and I were at his sister's. He became violently ill in the middle of the night and projectile vomited in her bathroom all over the place. It wasn't even a question, and I didn't mind too too much because I know how to NOT breathe through my nose, and also quell my own urge to vomit, so I cleaned it.

Also, and this was the biggest one, when the love of my life (though he had long since let me go) came down with Creuzfeld Jacob's disease and I went to visit him in the hospital in LA, I remember sitting with him as he was trying to eat lunch (at that point he was in a wheelchair and had to be fed - though his parents were doing that) and thinking that I'd still love to spend the rest of my life with him, because he was still in there, and you could tell (even though he couldn't speak all that well).

Of course, there are a select few men who I've had relationships with that for whatever reason weren't meant to last, that I truly wish them to be happy with someone. I think there are three total of those. The rest, eh, whatever, though I'm of course glad to know if they are happy.

So, question to you, what have you done for a significant other that really really showed your love? I'm not talking family members or children - just people you have chosen to be with.

8 comments:

Churlita said...

That's a tough one. I haven't been in any kind of real relationship in at least 6 years. I think bearing someones' child, not running for several months in a row, gaining 60 lbs and being in labor for 36 hours, was a huge thing I did for a guy. the second baby was much easier, so I'm going with the first one here.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

and chk this
when independent is really single id like your view based on what u have written here

M. Robert Turnage said...

"You're underage? And you need beer? What the heck, it is Valentine's Day!"

Susan said...

Two letters: B...

Kidding kidding...

Sort of...

A few years ago on NYE, Eric got t-totalled. When the ball was falling I was rubbing his back while he puked off a deck telling me all the things I wanted to hear but know weren't true.

Pamela said...

Churlita, yeah, I would think that's pretty big.

T-I did comment, under the guise of Pamela, but not directly related to this post.

MRT - what a guy.

Susan - Shit, you know what? I JUST got what you were writing. I looked at that when you first wrote it, and I was like, that's only one letter!!! ha

M. Robert Turnage said...

Actually, that earlier response was a joke - I have never knowingly bought beer for the underaged.

According to the Mrs. The most romantic thing I ever did was look at the mortgage and go, "So? You're worth it."

laura b. said...

I get kind of angry now when I think of all that I did when I was married to WTG, just trying to be a "good" spouse. What a waste of my good intentions that was. Okay, I'm sure it wasn't a waste...but I am looking forward to making happier, more worthwhile loving gestures in some possible future relationship.

The CEO said...

I just surprise her with things and stuff when she doesn't expect it, not just Valentine's Day. An example is getting Happy Thursday flowers for no reason. Or giving her a B. while she was er, I'll leave that alone.