Monday, February 9, 2009

WWYD?

I have been thinking about getting another cat, in part to keep Billy company. So I've been looking around craigslist, going to the shelter periodically, etc. Looking around.

I found this 6 year old female cat that a woman was trying to find a home for. Seemed like a nice cat, and I was hoping it was a direct adoption, but no, she was working with a rescue agency to find a home. I had two phone interviews this weekend, and I get an email this morning saying that I was rejected and I can't adopt from this agency.

I know why. When I told the story of Cleo and her diabetes and being unwilling to do daily insulin shots, they asked me specific questions about that. And they noted that it didn't cost that much. For me it was more the quality of life issue, but I also told them I would not be willing to spend $5,000 to save a cat's life because there's just too many cats out there that need homes. I was asked how much I would be willing to spend. What kind of question is that?? When asked what kind of cost I'd incurred in the past, I couldn't think of anything besides a teeth cleaning, but I did spend $55 a 12 lb bag for special food for Cleo.

Apparently, that's not good enough. And thus I am not good enough for that agency. What a crock of crap. Anyway, my question to you is whether you agree with the agency or with me. What would you do (WWYD?) Don't worry, I won't harass you if you don't agree with me - my back is all out of whack and thus if I tried to whack you I'd get hurt, and so I wouldn't want to do that.

13 comments:

Tara said...

That's a tough decision. Although I have to agree with their concern for the animals they have for adoption and who they adopt them out to, I kind of know where you're coming from and I think they should've considered your reasoning too.

Pamela said...

Yeah, Tara. I think if I had lied and they came to visit, they would have approved me. It's kinda like disability insurance it seems.

Susan said...

My cat Jasper is living his life without the ear tubes the vet told me he needed. I couldn't see spending that much money for him (which was a lot).

Pamela said...

Susan, you will burn in hell...

The CEO said...

A tender topic with me. Once they live with you, you come to love them and you'll do anything they need.

When we got Jake, we also got Grace. They came from The Last Chance Shelter. They were on display at Petsmart. We were told by the Banfield vet that both had small upper respiratory problems. Both had been fixed at the shelter.

We put over $3000 into Grace trying to cure her toxoplasimosis, but she had to be put down 2.5 months later. Legally, neither Petsmart nor Last Chance had any legal responsibilty because of the way the adoption papers were written Last Chance should have known of Grace's condition having operated on her. I hold them in the highest of contempt. Followed by Petsmart.

Interesting the standard a shelter is trying to hold you to, I wonder what standard they actually adhere to themself. Pardon my dripping contempt.

Pamela said...

Monty, that is within everyone's right, for sure. Sorry you had such a bad experience...

The CEO said...

It's really easier for you to answer the question if you ask, what would you spend on Billy if he got sick? nd have you considered medical insurance on him?

Pamela said...

Depends on whether I've recently found a good recipe for cat.

laura b. said...

I agree with you. Yes, pets are like part of the family. Yes, you care for them and love them. But there are financial realities to consider.
Someone like me would never be approve by a rescue agency like that. But a homeless animal without representation would accept me, I'm pretty sure :-)

The CEO said...

Skin, butcher, put the meat into your crock pot, cut in carrots, potatoes, celery, a few radishes, a small head of garlic, 5 bay leaves, a little tumeric, some rosemary, and tarragon to taste. If you like a slightly nutty taste, add a little nutmeg. Turn on the crock pot and let cook for 8 hours. Then serve hot.

You can make it more oriental by marinating in teryaki auce for about three hours first to tenderize. Don't leave it too long or it gets too salty.

Jake says, "Hi"!

NoRegrets said...

Yeah, Laura, I guess there's a reason 2 outof the 3 cats I've had came from directly off the street. They have been/were well loved.

Monty, sounds like you have experience!

The CEO said...

I'm more than just another good looking face.

Churlita said...

I sometimes think shelters are shooting themselves, or their pets in the foot. They make it so tough to be able to adopt a pet, that there isn't enough space in the shelters to keep them all. I'm all for being cautious, but I think there is a point where it's ridiculous.