Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter and Spanish

So, I spent Easter with people from several Latin American countries: Peru, Argentina, Venezuela, and then there was Puerto Rico. I had to defend myself when one of the Argentinians asked my PR friend if I spoke Spanish and when she replied for me that I spoke a little, the Argentinian said that Americans tend to say that, and that's the only Spanish phrase they can speak. So, of course I had to prove myself. And then I determined I would go back to speaking Spanish with the door guy. I have a goal again. If my friend in Mexico ever replies, maybe I'll go climbing with him in Mexico - Potrero Chico is supposedly a great place and I've never been. And this guy does not speak English really. I met him at a conference jeez at least 10 years ago - we couldn't really speak much but we got along. He showed me Mexico City. 4-5 years later I did a two week course in Oaxaca, and stopped in Mexico City on the way back, and I could finally talk to him and figure out what he does, etc. It was hilarious - we went back to his place to drink and got completely drunk and played soccer in his living room. I had to get up at an ungodly hour to catch a bus to get back to the airport - he had originally intended to bring me back but was too hung over to do it, which was fine. He had made me eat this weird thing (no, not drugs) which supposedly helps reduce hangovers and so I was much better off than him. Anyways, it would be good to see him.

Long rambling post. Maybe I should do some work.

5 comments:

Churlita said...

I grew up speaking Spanish, but lost it when we moved to the Midwest. I got it back again in college and when I lived in California and used to interpret for Spanish speaking patients when I worked at the hospital. That's been about 8 years and I feel so monolingual now.

laura b. said...

I think you are so smart to have a second language. I should revive my high school Spanish.

Pamela said...

Churlita, I'm sure you would get it back quickly...

Laura, it's actually my third. I speak German better than Spanish.

The CEO said...

I talk to my cat a lot, other than that, I'm monolingual.

Vlad Steven said...

we have a pending account in Soccer: EU 10 / Mex 5. Buuu Buuu

You will be and well will be received. =) Thanks to remember. He is pleasant