Thursday, April 2, 2009

Implementer

Over the years I have come to realize I am a great implementer. I so wanted in my 20's to be the person that comes up with great ideas (and even into my 30's), but I realized more and more after kicking myself in the behind for not doing it well that what I do best is implement. For every grandiose idea person, there is the person behind the scenes that makes things happen. I started accepting this when I read an article in some newspaper noting the accomplishments of some person behind the scenes of a famous person. And realized that's me. Especially in my last job.

The problem comes when the idea person can't stop with the ideas - has no sense of reality. And then the implementer goes nuts when even reason can't prevail and he/she is expected to implement all ideas equally. And then the implementer becomes known as the 'no' person. Well, that at least was my response in the past job. For many reasons I had lost all respect for my boss and didn't give a shit how I spoke to her. "No" was the least of the negative things I said to her. However, I will never sink to that level again. And I've learned in my current job how to balance.

I was thinking of this as I had dinner with M this past weekend. He's frustrated at his job because he's an idea man, and his boss is saying no. I asked if his ideas meant hiring more people. And they did. So, I tried to provide perspective by talking a little bit about my experience. Not sure it helped at all, since maybe he just wanted me to say 'there there', but it was good for me. :-)

11 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so suggesting this as my new job title "Implementer"...

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

ideas wo action are empty

Churlita said...

I worked for an "idea man", but because he didn't know what it would take to implement all of his ideas, his business failed in 6 months. Balance is always the key.

Pamela said...

Implementer of doom?

T, allmit - yes, you are correct.

Churlita. I wish I had both traits in me to balance,,,but I really don't think so.

Squirrel said...

We so need you in New Paltz. We are all ideas and no execution up here. It drives me nuts sometimes! (squirrel joke! squirrel joke!)

laura b. said...

What an interesting perspective. I had never thought of things in quite that way, in terms of idea people and implementers.
Thinking about it...I am neither, kind of.

The CEO said...

Implementation is vastly more difficult because it encompasses so much more detail than the original idea. Good luck.

NoRegrets said...

Squirrel, I thought it was MD's fault...

Laura, hmm... not sure if you can be neither.

Monty, sometimes I wonder. You also have to be an idea person sort of to implement well (get around obstacles...etc.) Not sure how good I am at that either.

Squirrel said...

Wow, either you're making an incredibly apt local political joke (in which case my hat's off to you), or I'm not getting your reference.

I think it's the first thing. Nice work!

Pamela said...

um, maryland?

Squirrel said...

Oops - was totally thinking something else. But yeah, that too.