Sunday, April 26, 2009

Nature moment - cardinal

I saw this in action in my driveway! Way cool. Learn something new every day.

Cardinal Mating Habits

Cardinals like to “mate feed”. During mate feeding the male cardinal picks up a seed, hops over to the female bird, briefly touches beaks with her before the female takes the food. The ritual of mate feeding continues from the start of courtship till the end of the incubation period. Cardinals remain faithful to their pair for till the end of breeding season.

Ha! rereading this, I realize that I need a cardinal. Feed me!!!

6 comments:

Susan said...

If that cardinal comes with some AC, I'm his.

Churlita said...

Funny. My daughter used to always make the sound of a female Cardinal - Pret-ty, pret-ty, pret-ty. Now, every time I hear one I remember her at 5. Cardinals are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry, I'm a Sagittarius. You might be better off finding a Cardinal in Vatican City.

NoRegrets said...

Susan, poor wilting you. Your place doesn't have it?

I wonder if that would be as cute at 15 or 17 or whatever age she is?

Alien-ar ar... I was going to say I'd have abuot as good a chance as with a gay man, but, given all the press the past couple, years, maybe not. Oh, wait, they were doing it with young boys, so maybe it would be exactly as difficult.

laura b. said...

That is so sweet. And the don't have to remain faithful forever...just until the work is done :-)

Mel said...

:-)

It's cardinal mating season.

I was watching them do this Friday and thinking he was a bit big to be his baby. LOL Boy..was *I* wrong--at least about what kinda 'baby'?