Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Retreat

So, I have decided to not volunteer this weekend. I'm upset, but likening it to backing off of a climb. Thing is, the leader wanted people to guarantee 100% commitment, and I can't do that. I did part of the route this Sunday with 4 others, and only made it through 1.5-2 hours. My hand hurting was the biggest thing, but it also didn't help that we never stopped. These other people did not need to eat, nor really drink. I'm drinking constantly from my watercarrierthingie, and ate a cliff bar, and I think maybe one of them had a sip from their water bottle. That told me a lot. I accept these limitations of myself most of the time, but sometimes it's really frustrating, like now. But it feels like the best thing to do to back out, no matter how much I hate the idea.

So now I have a weekend free, and will help a friend who's moving, and maybe even paint some of my ceilings to start making it look like MY home.

5 comments:

Churlita said...

It sounds like it will be a way more mellow weekend this way. You deserve to take things easy.

Mel said...

Painting ceilings and claiming your own space is good.
Knowing what works for you is good.

Not feeling a need to do what's not good for you--is good.

I need to exercise that line of thinking more often....'cept for the ceiling painting. I'll leave that to himself. ;-)

Mel said...

OH! And I dearly loved the poem you shared. With permission, I'd like to keep it and stare at it a while.

<-- requires constant reminders

Pamela said...

Churlita, it's hard for me to have a mellow weekend - I tend to do too much anyway, but I will try

Mel, yes, I guess.

glad you liked the poem! you could share it with your readers if you like - I don't own it...

The CEO said...

It always makes sense to take care of yourself. This wasn't rationalization, it made perfect sense.