Friday, April 24, 2009

What are the odds?

So, biking home yesterday, I was almost home, waiting at an intersection to turn left with the green arrow, when I hear my name. WTF? I look to my right and there's T, an ex, who lives in NJ. What are the odds that he would be right there at the right time and notice me?

OK, so I knew he was in town, but I was supposed to have lunch with him today. Turns out he was staying in a nearby hotel and was going for a walk since he had been cooped up inside all day. I had had exciting plans of staying home, reading my book and watching Smallville and Grey's Anatomy. But those changed, and we went out to dinner instead, and then bought a bottle of goooood beer and drank it at my place.

It was great to see him. He's getting married in a month (!) to a 28 year old (!). Good for him. He's stressed since he's a new professor at a good institution, but otherwise well. The best part was being able to have good climbing conversation. I remember the days when we were dating, he was just starting out lead climbing, and was verrrry cautious. And now he's a burly climber, and both of us have had hard times finding new partners so we whined to each other. We made plans to go on a long weekend trip in July, and that will be good.

The WORST part about his visit is that he gave me a vision of what my living room should look like, and it involves buying a new TV and mounting it on the wall above the bookshelf, getting rid of my big stereo components and the big crappy thing in the corner and buying a good, small, mp3 system. UGH - damn him. I need that money for other things but it's SOOOO tempting. We'll see...

Anyways, it was a very unexpected evening. What's really pathetic is that we finished dinner around 8:00 and my first thought was that could still make it home to see enough of Smallville. Sigh.

5 comments:

Churlita said...

How nice. See? You were just talking about needing a climbing partner, and the universe delivered.

laura b. said...

Thats really cool and it is nice to have a long weekend to look forward to.
His ideas for your livingroom sound great...I can hear them calling to you :-)

The CEO said...

Climbing partner! Things are looking up!

Pamela said...

Well, yes, one weekend. But yes, it is better than nothing.

Laura, don't encourage me! Sigh... I want someone to just do it all for me though. I can't make so many decisions.

Monty, again, for one weekend...

Mel said...

Oh yes--wall mounted plasma screen. *nodding* I agree.