Monday, June 9, 2008

you say tomato, I say tomahto

. Yesterday I went climbing with some friends in 90ish degree weather. We started at 8:00 AM so we'd be done before the most evil heat kicked in. Someone heard my phone ring around 11:30, but since I was on a rock, and it was down there on the ground, I didn't answer. What follows it the phone message I had. It made me laugh so hard.

"Hello, It’s 11:30 and I don’t know where you are, and I’m just staring at this gorgeous tomato on the counter and wondering if I can eat some of it. So call me if you get this because I can’t look at it any more. It just looks so good. I want to make a tomato sandwich. I hope that’s ok. I’m sorry. Bye."

What was great too was the sighs and moans accompanying the statements. I didn't bother calling her back since I knew it was already cut up. This was a tomato I had bought at the farm market on Saturday, when I went strawberry picking in the evil heat. Gorgeous gorgeous strawberries and well worth the sunburn and thirst (14 lbs I picked). And so after climbing yesterday I made a batch of jam, a strawberry/cherry pie, and strawberry bread. And then I collapsed from tiredness, but not before eating 2 pieces of pie and a huge hunk of bread.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for reminding me how hungry I am. I forgot my lunch at home so I'm about to go scavaging. I have no idea what I can actually eat in the snack machine. Sorry, babbling...

That reminds me I need to get on planting and everything.

Tara said...

Oh, nothing like the smell and taste of a ripe, fresh tomato.

And that pie sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Mmmm... yummmy...
I once left Mama G a note at her house that read " I came, I saw, I ate. Sorry I missed you - but thanks for the stew!"



it was funnier on a full stomach...

heather said...

a tomato still warm from the sun and fresh picked is one of gods greatest gifts. just brush off the dirt and bite into it. :-)

be careful though buying them at the store for a while. last year it was spinach, this year tomatoes. sadly roma/plums are affected. they're a favorite of mine.

Churlita said...

You are really trying to kill me here. I'm starving and all this talk of fresh tomatoes and pie isn't helping.

NoRegrets said...

Tara, yes indeed.
WNG, I wish I could do that!
Yeah, Heather, a friend forwarded me the warning yesterday. Thankfully my friend did not get sick.
Churlita, hope you got food.

Tera said...

LOL! I never knew a tomato could be so totally tantalizing (hold on while I say that 5 times)!!! I do love fresh ripe tomotoes though!